Several roads in Manila will be closed starting tonight in preparation for the Feast of the Black Nazarene.
Despite the cancellation of this year’s Traslacion or the procession of the Black Nazarene to prevent the spread of COVID-19, the Manila Police District Traffic Enforcement Unit announced that road closures and traffic rerouting scheme will be implemented in some parts of the city in anticipation of the influx of devotees who might still flock to the Basilica of the Black Nazarene in Quiapo, Manila.
Here are the road closures and traffic rerouting plans that will be implemented from Jan. 8 and 9:
JANUARY 8, 10:00 P.M. ONWARDS
- Southbound lane of Quezon Blvd. (Quiapo), from A. Mendoza/Fugoso to Carlos Palanca St.
- Northbound Lane of Quezon Blvd from Carlos Palanca St. to Fugoso St.
- Westbound lane of España Boulevard from P. Campa to A Mendoza St.
- Stretch of Evangelista St. from P Paterno St. to Recto Ave.
- Stretch of Palanca St. from Carriedo/Plaza Lacson to P Casal St.
Rerouting of vehicles
- Vehicles going to southbound lane of Quezon Blvd from A. Mendoza: turn right to Fugoso St. then left to Rizal Avenue.
- Vehicles going to southbound lane of España Blvd: turn left to Nicanor Reyes St., or turn right to P. Campa St., then left to A. Mendoza St., then right to Fugoso St.
- Vehicles coming from McArthur Bridge intending to utilize Palanca St shall go straight to Rizal Ave. to point of destination.
- Vehicles coming from Ayala Bridge intending to utilize Palanca St. shall go straight to P. Casal St. to point of destination.
- Vehicles coming from P. Burgos Ave. intending to utilize Quezon Bridge shall go straight to McArthur Bridge or Jones Bridge to point of destination.
January 9, 2021, 12:00 MN ONWARDS
- Stretch of Ronquillo St. from Rizal Ave. to Plaza Sta. Cruz
- Stretch of Bustos St. from Plaza Sta Cruz to Rizal Ave.
Rerouting of vehicles
- Vehicles utilizing southbound lane of Rizal Ave. going to Ronquillo St. shall turn right to CM. Recto Ave., turn left to R. Regente St., to J. Luna St. turn left to Plaza Cervantes to Jones Bridge or go straight to Muelle dela Industria to Escolta to point of destination.
- Vehicles coming from McArthur Bridge intending to utilize Bustos St. shall go straight to Rizal Ave. to point of destination.
The STAR reported that around 7,000 police officers will be deployed to secure the feast of the Black Nazarene in order to control the number of devotees attending the religious event.