The Department of Transportation (DOTr) and the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID) recently released an omnibus of public and private transportation protocols to be observed in all areas under the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ), modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) and general community quarantine (GCQ).
Public transport protocols
In ECQ and MECQ areas, public transportation is still suspended except for shuttle services that will ferry medical frontliners or workers employed in permitted businesses/services.
For GCQ areas, the operations of public utility vehicles (PUVs) will resume in a reduced capacity to comply with social distancing measures.
- Jeeps and buses shall only carry 50 percent or half of the designated passenger capacity.
- UV Express and taxis shall only carry one passenger on the driver’s row, with two passengers (max) allowed in the backseat, per row.
- For Transportation Network Vehicle Services (TNVS), multiple bookings, ride-sharing and carpooling is not allowed.
- Tricycle operators must first secure a special permit from the local government unit (LGU). Tricycles allowed to deliver “feeder” services.
- Public shuttle services can ferry medical frontliners or workers of permitted businesses/services, but must observe social distancing while inside the vehicle.
- Once Metro Manila is downgraded into GCQ, rail lines like the Light Rail Transit (LRT), Metro Trail Transit (MRT), and Philippine National Railways (PNR) can resume operations but will only accommodate half the usual number of passengers.
Private transport rules
Under the rules, private transportation is allowed, provided that the following protocols are followed:
- During ECQ and MECQ, company shuttles must secure a special permit from the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB). For areas in GCQ, permits are not needed. In all levels of quarantine, company shuttles shall carry only 50 percent of the shuttle’s passenger capacity.
- In all ECQ, MECQ, and GCQ areas, personal vehicles can carry individuals/workers of permitted sectors, but only with a maximum of 50% passenger capacity.
- During ECQ, bicycles and motorcycles are allowed only if the solo rider is an Authorized Person who can go Outside of Residence (APOR). Back-riding is strictly prohibited in all quarantine levels.
- During MECQ, and GCQ, bicycles and motorcycles are allowed only for one person.
- During ECQ, electronic scooters are NOT allowed. However, it can be used during MECQ and GCQ only for one person, subject to existing traffic rules and regulations.