The Metro Pacific Tollways Corp. (MPTC) is expecting a 10-percent increase in traffic volume on its expressways this coming holiday weekend to start with All Saints’ Day.
According to MPTC, the average number of vehicles entering the NLEX, SCTEX, and Cavitex had risen by eight percent in the first half of 2019 to 518,678 from 480,793 in the same period last year.
With this, the MPTC is implementing its motorists assistance program once again to manage the expected surge in traffic volume next week.
The STAR reported that the North Luzon Expressway (NLEX) and Subic Clark Tarlac Expressway (SCTEX) will deploy traffic operations personnel to closely monitor and manage the influx of motorists passing through Balintawak, Mindanao Avenue, Bocaue, Sta. Ines, Tarlac, and Tipo toll plazas.
Additional patrol and incident response teams will be dispatched in strategic areas to quickly assist motorists. Speed and lane management teams will also be on heightened alert to enforce traffic discipline to motorists for road safety.
To accommodate the expected increase of vehicles on the expressway during the peak hours of Oct. 26, 27, 28, 30, 31 and Nov. 1 and 2, the Balintawak toll plaza will open a maximum of 24 toll collection points while Mindanao Avenue, Tarlac and Tipo toll plazas will open a maximum of 10, 15, and six toll collection points, respectively.
Meanwhile, the Bocaue toll barrier will have a maximum of 55 collection points for Manila-bound motorists from Nov. 1 to 4. Toll tellers at the Tarlac toll plaza will be ready to issue pre-encoded transit tickets to motorists for faster transactions.
The Manila-Cavite Expressway management (Cavitex) will deploy more patrol teams to manage traffic and assist motorists during the same period.
The MPTC said that the ongoing traffic enhancement initiatives as well as major expansion and enhancement projects for NLEX, SCTEX, and Cavitex are being undertaken to handle higher traffic volume and ensure that motorists and commuters will be able to travel quickly and safely.
“Enabling mobility and ensuring motorist convenience and safety have always been the focus of our MPTC operations during these times. As always, we want to stay true to our commitment to promote road safety and ensure a world-class experience of motorists in using our expressways,” MPTC chief financial officer Christopher Lizo said.
The ongoing construction along the mainline road at NLEX-SCTEX-Cavitex will be suspended starting Oct 24 to Nov 4 at 9 a.m., unless there are necessary safety repairs that need to be done.
Aside from that, the MPTC and its partners will also set up “Safe Trip Mo Sagot Ko” motorists camps at designated locations to provide motorists with free calls, WiFi connectivity, drinking water, basic mechanic services, and first aid treatment. – Richmond Mercurio