DPWH partially opens CALAX for ‘Undas’

Welcome news for commuters and motorists: The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) officially opened the first segment of the Cavite-Laguna Expressway (CALAX) on Wednesday, in time for the exodus of people going to their provinces for the Undas break.

DPWH Sec. Mark Villar said the riding public should benefit from the partial operation of CALAX (with a single lane being opened). It is expected to decongest the Laguna Boulevard and Aguinaldo Highway.

Video courtesy of Mong Pintolo

“We all know that Undas is a time we all pay respects to family and friends who have passed on, and with November 1 falling on a Friday, I’m sure many of our kababayans will take advantage of the time to do some family bonding and go on a road trip,” Villar said.

He added that the CALAX is now 90 percent complete while the remaining 10 percent is being fast-tracked.

Around 10,000 vehicles are expected to traverse through the Mamplasan entry for the westbound vehicles and the Sta. Rosa-Tagaytay entry for the eastbound motorists, according to Villar. 

He said that the newly opened segment will cut down travel time to 10 minutes from the current 45-minute drive from Mamplasan to Sta. Rosa-Tagaytay road.

Video by Mong Pintolo/STAR

Meanwhile, Metro Pacific Tollways Corporation subsidiary MP CALA Holdings, Inc. president and General manager Bobby Bontia said that the daily access time will be during Sunday to Thursday from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. During Friday to Saturday, however, the access window will be extended from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.

“This will only be temporary, until the remaining work for this first segment is finished before December. By then full access of the other interchanges and 24-hour use shall be possible,” Bontia said. 

The P35-billion, four-lane CALAX is a 45-kilometer expressway that will link Cavitex in Kawit to the South Luzon Expressway at its Mamplasan Interchange in Biñan, Laguna.

Most Popular

Woman driving without license arrested after assaulting MTPB enforcer

A 26-year-old female driver was arrested after assaulting, resisting, and disobeying a Manila Traffic and Parking Bureau (MTPB) officer in Malate, Manila...

LTO revamps driver’s license restriction codes

The Land Transportation Office (LTO) revamped the restriction codes on driver’s licenses, featuring a more detailed alphanumeric system that identifies new vehicle...

DLSU places 3rd in Shell Eco-marathon Virtual League’s Road to 2050

The De La Salle University (DLSU) Eco Car Team from the Philippines won in the Shell Eco-marathon (SEM) Virtual League, an annual...

SMC installs first batch of MRT-7 trainsets

San Miguel Corporation (SMC) installed over the weekend the first batch of trainsets for its Metro Rail Transit (MRT)-7 project.

Latest

AVID remains on course despite ‘Ghost Month’ slump

The Association of Vehicle Importers and Distributors, Inc. (AVID) cruised along its recovery trend with a 33%...

Volvo PH earns safety seal certification

Volvo Philippines (Volvo PH) has earned its safety seal certification from the Department of Labor and Employment...

A merger in mobility: Global auto components giant Aisin collaborates with Advics and Art

Almost half of all cars sold in the Philippines are Toyotas. You see Toyotas on the road...

Is your vehicle ready for heavy downpours?

The rainy days are here. For motorists, this only means paying more attention while driving since inclement...

Rise of electric vehicles opens up opportunities for PH to become a regional eMobility player

The rise in the adoption of electric vehicles (EVs) has opened up new opportunities for the Philippines...

More Articles Like This