The nine-day toll holiday in Valenzuela City ended on Wednesday after the local government lifted the suspension order on NLEX Corp.’s business permit.
The lifting of the suspension was made after the local government and NLEX Corp. came to an agreement which includes the following:
- Barriers will be raised in all RFID lanes in toll plazas within Valenzuela City from 5:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. daily and toll fees will be collected during these hours
- Barriers will be lowered from 10:01 p.m. to 4:59 a.m. in all RFID lanes for safety reasons
- Reinstatement of cash lanes at strategic toll plazas in the city
- Upgrade the RFID system and account management to address the growing consumer complaints, which will be completed on or before January 30, 2021
- Create a technical working group who will continuously meet to innovate traffic and account management initiatives
“Both parties believe that this is the right direction to take to ease the burden of the riding public,” the local government said in a statement.
The local government suspended the business permit of NLEX Corp. after traffic gridlocks spawned by its RFID system affected thousands of motorists following the implementation of cashless transactions on expressways.